There has been a recent trend towards helping move adults with learning disabilities from cares homes into supported accommodation.  A recent Local Government Association (LGA) report stated that they can meet the needs of the adults in question while saving councils money.

increase in live in PAs

Cumbria, for example, reported it expects to save £350,000 after identifying that the needs of people in its most expensive care homes could be better met in other settings, including supported housing and live in care for disability. The council estimated if that the same were true for those in less costly homes, the savings could be up to £2m over three years.

In Barking and Dagenham, the council anticipates saving £670,000 by transforming day opportunities through increased use of personal assistants (PAs) and the closure of one of the borough’s day centres.

The council has created a post to develop the use of PAs for people with learning disabilities and has developed an accreditation scheme for trainers of PAs. While this is often for PAs who work on an hourly basis, in many cases a live in carer for disability is required.

A live in carer or personal assistant (PA) is able to help adults with learning disabilities as well as other conditions live independently and live the life they choose.  Many people who have a PA are able to have a full time job and/or live very active lives in their community.

Which is why we are very happy to help people find the right PA for their needs and personalities. We carefully hand pick, interview and rigorously check every carer so people looking for a PA are able to find someone they can trust.

Click here for more information about live in care for disability